Civil Litigation Lawyer Markham - When a business goes through financial issues, it is critical to choose the correct group to assist your business through the necessary processes. These can include business restructurings, insolvencies and bankruptcies. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Group has a wealth of skill so as to help you deal with these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to offer advice and representation, resulting in strategic, timely and efficient solutions.
Our clients come from many different enterprises in businesses like for example automotive, biomedical, airline, construction, entertainment, communications, healthcare, funeral, financial services, manufacturing, marketing, insurance, mining, technology, steel, retail, natural resources, and real estate. Our lawyers can assist you with the complexities of cross-border procedures administered under either Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code or the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement ("CCAA"). We have extensive knowledge with domestic and multi-national business restructurings and reorganizations, whether informal or court-supervised. Insolvency and bankruptcy restructuring legislation within the United States and Canada have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; however, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to need those involved in cross-border procedures to be well-informed regarding both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised stakeholders and intermediaries within a lot of the largest insolvencies and restructurings under the CCAA, the Winding-Up and Restructuring Act, and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA").
Access to the needed experts could be able to help tip the scales in your favour of outcomes that are positive during insolvency or business restructuring. We are able to draw on the knowledge of our skillful members across our worldwide companies within the numerous legal fields dealing with business reorganizations. Our office has professionals in mergers and acquisitions, banking and securitizations, private and public equity, labour and employment, intellectual property and real property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency requiring advocacy before trial and appellate courts, our team provides expert litigators.
For the numerous stakeholders we represent, our services consist of the following:
1. We assist those financially challenged businesses about the alternatives and options of restructuring, that consists of the creating and directing of formal restructuring proceedings under the CCAA and the BIA.
2. We provide recommendation to boards of directors and independent/special committees of public and private corporations in relation to businesses in financial distress.
3. We advise in relation to insolvent business debtors, including providing advice in the context of cross-border restructuring procedures, to institutional and non-regulated lenders, agents to and members operational, term, asset-based and second-lien lenders, distressed debt investors, lending syndicates, trust indenture trustees, bondholders, formal and ad hoc noteholders committees, and hedge fund and private equity investors.
4. We advise formal and ad-hoc creditors committees in cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to cross-border and Canadian restructuring procedures.
5. We advise secured creditors regarding the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their rights and interests in insolvency proceedings.
6. We advise trustees in liquidators, bankruptcy, receivers, monitors, construction lien trustees, interim receivers and other court-appointed officers in CCAA proceedings and proposals under the BIA, including bankruptcies and receiverships.
7. In relation to insolvent or defaulting debtors, we advise equipment vendors and lessors, contracting third parties, suppliers, and commercial landlords in restructuring and insolvency proceedings and realizations.
8. We advise purchasers obtaining distressed assets or businesses in cases administered under the CCAA and BIA, from trustees in bankruptcy and from privately or court-appointed receivers.
9. We help investment bankers, financial advisors, and other consultants relating to their engagement in insolvency procedures.
10. We give counsel about various litigation issues arising in the context of business restructuring, bankruptcy, and insolvency cases.
11.We can defend and prosecute in preference actions and litigating actions. These may be for the fraudulent conveyance of assets or the acquiring of urgent relief to preserve and protect assets from dissipation, like injunctions, mareva injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf